Intro link


New readers may want to begin here. See also more photos, videos, and additional links below.

2023: I am selling some excess stock.

14 November 2018

The joys of eBay

Recently I won an eBay item entitled Antique Meccano Erector Set with Wood Box.  The parts are quite varied, some from the nickel era (pre-1926) and some from the dark green/red era ('26-'34), with a few Erector interlopers mixed in. The box is not marked in any way, but its compartments are well proportioned to take Meccano parts, and I have a feeling it is indeed a Meccano (perhaps Gilbert Meccano?) product.  I am putting these photos here in hopes that an expert may shed some light on the matter.

The box is quite beautiful, to my eye.  Front, back and side:
      

The first sight of the open box is quite spectacular.  The lid has a stiff board with the keyholes used in Meccano stringing cards, and a set of parts still wedged in some of the holes.

 

The box contains three removable trays, two of which have a cutout designed to make room for the Boiler part 162.

  
  

The set in all its glory:

The sprockets, eccentrics, gears and other brassware were a fairly good haul for the price:


And finally, here are the interloper parts, mostly Erector if I'm not much mistaken.


Thank you eBay for satisfying my acquisitive mania once again, and helping fill my poor house to the bursting point with heavy rusty metal of dubious resale value!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I appreciate all kinds of feedback! --Dugan